- This article features content that will be introduced or featured in Psychonauts 2 announced for release in 2020. As such, this may refer to content that may be changed or removed in the to be released version of the game.
–Coach Oleander's speech; the opening line of Psychonauts
Coach Morceau "Morry" Oleander is a Psychonaut and the Head Coach of Whispering Rock Psychic Summer Camp. He serves as the secondary antagonist in Psychonauts and a mentor to Raz in Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin and Psychonauts 2.
- 1 Background
- 2 Story
- 3 Oleander's Mind
- 4 Psychic Abilities
- 5 Relationships
- 6 Trivia
- 7 Gallery
–Character blurb from the original Psychonauts website
As a child, Morceau loved rabbits, and had a field full of rabbit hutches. He took a particular shine to a small rabbit in one of his hutches, and brought it out to play with it. However, he was the son of a butcher, who apparently disapproved of his son's preferences. Morceau's father told him animals were good for nothing but food, and emphasized this by taking the rabbit Morceau was playing with, and killing it right in front of him. This experience proved to be incredibly traumatic for Morceau, and has haunted him for years. When he was rejected from the military due to not being tall enough, Morceau's already scarred mental state was damaged further, driving him to devise a plan for global domination. He claims he is a former soldier, but was in reality never allowed into the Army, Navy, or Air Force because of his height. To reinforce this falsehood, he puts a fabricated Memory Vault titled "Oleander's Pride" in his mind where children can easily reach it.
Coach Oleander is first seen in the intro cinematic, delivering his open monologue to the campers around a fire. He is responsible for writing the pamphlet that inspired Razputin to run away from the circus for Whispering Rock. He is asleep for a large portion of the game, and can be heard grumbling in his sleep from the intercoms around the camp.
It is revealed that Oleander has a plot to take over the world with tanks controlled by the brains of psychics. Oleander worked with Loboto to capture the children of the camp and extract their brains.
Oleander also had Loboto put an implant into Linda, who mutated and became the Hulking Lungfish of Lake Oblongata, and the Lungfish's mind to turn into the technicolor metropolis known as Lungfishopolis wherein a projection of Oleander into Linda's mind has apparently taken over all of Lungfishopolis via a radio tower (which could be a representation of the implant) and must be defeated. The projection is known as "Kochamara", a superhero to the Lungfish, dressed head-to-toe in a blue and orange suit. Kochamara's body and voice are similar enough to the Coach, and after beating him, he claims he "no longer needs this freaky toad" and that he has "the brain of a little girl" in his lab strong enough to power an army of Psychoblaster Death Tanks.
Nearing the end of the game, Ford Cruller (outfitted with some Psitanium to keep his mind in check) blows a handful of the sneezing power into the Coach's face, leading to his brain being removed. Said brain makes its way into a Psychoblaster Death Tank, and blasts Raz's party unconscious, leaving only Raz to fight. After the tank is destroyed, Raz attempts to extract Coach's brain from the tank, which sprays sneezing powder and causes Raz to sneeze out his own brain. Raz's brain uses Telekinesis to throw itself into the tank with the Coach's brain, leading to the final level of Psychonauts, the Meat Circus.
The ending cinematic shows Oleander on the reception area stage the next morning, explaining that he has been cleared of the insanity that caused his actions and apologizing to the campers for stealing their brains and attempting to take over the world. He then credits and invites Raz onto the stage, for which everyone applauds.
Psychonauts: In the Rhombus of Ruin
–Coach Oleander to Raz after they escape from the Rhombus of Ruin
Oleander appears in Psychonauts: In Rhombus of Ruin under probation from the Psychonauts organization. He is stranded inside a sunken cruise ship after the jet crashes. He is found singing music on a stage from his favorite band, All Paul. Raz must burn down the stage using pyrokinesis to free him from the hallucination induced by the psylirium. Oleander then acquires a fake mermaid tail to help him swim through the ocean. He gives Raz a psycho portal to enter Dr. Loboto's mind before Loboto can operate on Raz.
- Main article: Coach Oleander's Basic Braining
Oleander's mind is a battlefield, where he trains the campers. His warzone of a mind is full of bombs, land mines, and cannons. All of it is fabricated because Oleander has never actually been to war.
- Main article: Meat Circus
When Razputin's and Morceau's minds are mixed together, Razputin's childhood memories of the circus where he grew up mixed with Morceau's memories of his father's butcher shop, creating the Meat Circus. Oleander reverts to his childhood state, Oly. Raz must then protect Oly from the mutant rabbits, and eventually defeat a monstrous version of Oly's father.
- Telekinesis: He levitated Raz in the intro cutscene and can levitate boulders during the Brain Tank battle.
- Shield: Used it in the fight against the other camp staff. When the player obtains Shield in Lungfishopolis, it is stated that it was stolen from Kochamara, meaning it might have been Oleander's power.
- Marksmanship: His Psi Blast color is green.
- Telepathy: Oleander accidentally communicates his world domination plan to Raz through misuse of the camp broadcasting system. He can also talk to animals using his mind, as he is shown communicating with his pet rabbit as a child.
- Zoolingualism: Coach Oleander can talk to animals according to the Li-Po backstory document. He used to talk to Mr. Bun as a child.
- Telepathy: Oleander can telepathically talk to Raz in Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin.
- PSI-Punch: Oleander has a small obstacle course in his mind specifically to teach campers how to use PSI-Punch.
- Psychic Defense: Oleander has considerable psychic defenses that are difficult to penetrate even by powerful Psychics.
- PSI-energy transfer: Coach is able to temporarily transfer his psychic energy to Raz in Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin.
It is unknown how Loboto and Morceau came to meet. Loboto skills were utilized by Oleander in his plot for world domination. They worked together to kidnap The Campers using a mutated Lungfish. Loboto aided Morceau in designing the Brain Tank powered by The Camper's extracted brains. Their association came to an end when Morry overcame his personal demons with help from Raz and rejoined the Psychonauts. Oleander still acts friendly towards Loboto even after they went their separate ways. More information regarding their relationship will be added when Psychonauts 2 is released.
Coach Oleander and Sheegor briefly worked together with Dr. Loboto on their attempt for world domination. Not much else is known about their relationship.
Sasha and Coach are Psychonaut colleagues. They were brief enemies during Psychonauts, but are on good terms now.
Ford and Coach are Psychonaut colleagues. They were brief enemies during Psychonauts, but are on good terms now.
Milla and Coach are Psychonaut colleagues. They were brief enemies during Psychonauts, but are on good terms now.
Coach is Raz's mentor turned enemy, then turned friend again after his redemption. Morceau frequently refers to Raz as "soldier".
The campers are Coach's students at Whispering Rock Psychic Summer Camp.
Butch is Coach's father. Coach Oleander is haunted by his childhood psychological abuse from Butch.
Mr. Bun was Coach's pet rabbit as a child. He loved his pet rabbit very much.
Linda is a lungfish that was forcefully mutated into a monster by Coach and Dr. Loboto.
- He can't swim because of his stumpy legs, and in Rhombus of Ruin, is so overjoyed to receive the fish tail that allowed him to float that Sasha chose not to remove it when returning him to the ship.
- Oleander is voiced by Nick Jameson, who also provides the voices for Kochamara, Dr. Loboto and Mr. Pokeylope.
- If Oleander is hit with a confusion grenade early on in the game (acquired by cheating), he will say: "Mr. Bun? Where are you going?" foreshadowing the meat circus level.
- In Oleander's first mind vault, "Oleander's Pride", he depicts himself as much taller than he really is. In the second vault, "Oleander's Shame", it is revealed that he was not drafted at all solely because of his height. Both vaults, as well as both of in instances you fight him (as Kochamara, he is gigantic, and the Brain Tank is much bigger than Raz) reinforce his jealousy of tall people.
- "Morceau" is a French word that refers to a morsel of meat. It can also mean "a short literary or musical composition", which could be a subtle reference to his height.
- "Oleander" may be in reference to Nerium oleander, a common garden plant with pink flowers. It is toxic in all its parts. Ingestion of this plant can affect the gastrointestinal system, the heart, and the central nervous system.
- According to Dr. Caligosto Loboto, he has halitosis.
- Both Sheegor and Dr. Caligosto Loboto call him "Little Army Man".
- Coach Oleander has an apparent crush on Paul L. and Paul M. from his favorite band, All Paul, according to drawings made by the fish guards.
- Oleander's parents were accidentally killed in an industrial meat grinder according to the Li-Po Document. This traumatic event caused him to relapse into depression sometime before Psychonauts.
- Oleander's height on his ID card is (purposefully) erroneously shown to be 6'2.
- In Psychonauts 2, there is a headline from the Psychonaut digital newspaper, "The Daily Brain", titled "Oleander Not Crazy".
Concept Art and Promotional Materials
Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin
Textures and Model Screenshots