–Old Psychopedia description
The Collective Unconscious is the central hub from which the player can access all available Mental Worlds. Each doorway is the path to a certain mind/level in Psychonauts or Psychonauts 2. The Collective Unconscious can be accessed via the Brain Tumbler or a PSI-Popper Generator.
The other doors open up once Raz gains access to them later in the game. In Psychonauts, Raz can only enter his own mind when he first steps into the Collective Unconscious. Raz will also be sent here when using the Smelling Salts instead of into the overworld after going past The Point of No Return.
- If Raz levitates off the ring at the right point and floats forward, the player can view a menu slide such as the ones used for the credits, saying "Your Name Here".
- In Psychonauts concept art, the doors were originally supposed to be more personalized for each mental world it led to. This was most likely cut due to time constraints in development. Although the door leading into The Milkman Conspiracy is still shaped like a milk bottle, as well as the idea entirely being reinstated for the sequel. In Psychonauts 2, all the doors are decorated to be personalized for each mind.
- Upon entering this area, any mental worlds previously accessed before entering the Lair of the Lungfish will be available, excluding Basic Braining.
- Invisible Walls prevent Raz from walking off the level, but it is possible to Levitation jump over the doors, or to walk off the Brain Tumbler platform. Falling off the level has the same effect as walking off the Brain Tumbler's platform: when entering via the Tumbler, Raz returns to Sasha's Lab, otherwise, he is teleported back onto the walkway.
- Raz can still use his real world items in the Collective Unconscious, such as the Dowsing Rod.
- The game incorrectly displays the location as being "Sasha's Underground Lab" in Raz's journal. While this makes sense if the Collective Unconscious is accessed via the Brain Tumbler, it does not if you've passed the Point of No Return.
- Completing all the levels 100% in the game will cause massive text saying "ALL LEVELS 100% COMPLETE! CONGRATULATIONS PSYCHOMASTER!" to float around the area.
- The Collective Unconscious is the only mental area where Raz doesn't wear his protective goggles.
- In Psychonauts, from a technical standpoint, the Collective Subconscious is a subarea of the laboratory, as entering a new full on area (e.g. when going from the lake to the main cabin) a loading screen occurs. This loading screen does not occur when Raz uses the Brain Tumbler, meaning it's automatically loaded in when Raz enters the Laboratory. Because no loading screen occurs, Raz's model will not change.
Trivia (Psychonauts 2)
- The Collective Unconscious in Psychonauts 2 takes its design from the original Psychonauts menu screen of a giant floating brain.
- In Psychonauts 2, Raz doesn't wear his goggles inside the Collective Unconscious, much like Psychonauts. This was likely a conscious design choice to continue continuity between the two games.