Levitation is the psychic ability to levitate. Razputin learns levitation from Milla Vodello in Milla's Dance Party. This PSI power allows Razputin to ride on a levitation ball, called a "Thought Bubble". This levitation ball allows him to jump higher when riding on it, and it acts a parachute when floating down. Some psychics use a levitation ball to levitate, however other psychics can levitate without it.
When in the air, Razputin can use the Levitation ability to slowly float downwards by holding onto the levitation ball. Raz can also run faster while riding on the levitation ball. At PSI Cadet Rank 50, Raz gains the Wrecking Ball upgrade, which turns the Thought Bubble into a weapon when rolling at full speed, dealing about equal damage as the PSI Punch. At Rank 60, Raz gains the Rolling Havoc upgrade, which turns the Thought Bubble into a Wrecking Ball as soon as he starts rolling. Raz can also roll over various hazards while on top of the levitation ball, such as rough ground or toxic waste. Milla implies that psychics should be able to levitate over water, but Raz can't because of his family curse.
- Levitation can't be used for much in combat, but it does come in handy for some hit-and-run tactics:
- You can use it to make giant leaps across mental worlds at high speeds, making for a great way to avoid enemies.
- The Wrecking Ball and Mega Palmbomb upgrades deal good damage. Charge into enemies with the Wrecking Ball and then hit them again with the Mega Palmbomb to destroy them quickly.
- Raz can go invisible while riding on the ball. The player can use this to make quick escapes.
- Raz cannot lock his mental focus on enemies while riding the ball. Using abilities that require accuracy - such as Marksmanship - is not suggested while on the levitation ball.
It is possible to fly using the levitation ball due to a glitch in Psychonauts. While in midair, press and hold 'Float' (default: Shift) to begin floating. Now, while still holding Float, rapidly alternate pressing 'Jump' (default: Spacebar) and the psi power key that you assigned levitate to (typically this is the 3rd slot). This will repeatedly place a big higher than his original position, allowing for flight. This trick allows the player to reach game areas that would otherwise not be normally accessible.
Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin
Raz cannot use levitation in Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin. This could be because he's outside of his body for the majority of the game, however he is able to use other PSI-Powers, such as Marksmanship, while in the body of other characters.
- Raz cannot use the levitation ball in Lungfishopolis.
- Raz cannot use the shield while on the levitation ball.
- You can change the color of the levitation ball with the PSI Energy Colorizer (costs 250 arrowheads) at the Camp Store.
Concept Art and Promotional Materials
- Milla Vodello, Ford Cruller, and Sasha Nein don't need the levitation ball to float and are never seen using it.