- This article features content that will be introduced or featured in Psychonauts 2 announced for release on August 25th, 2021. As such, this may refer to content that may be changed or removed in the to be released version of the game.
–Description from Psychonauts.com
Psychonauts 2 is a platform video game developed by Double Fine Productions and the sequel to Psychonauts and Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin, headed by former LucasArts employee Tim Schafer. It was initially announced during the Game Awards on December 3rd, 2015. It was crowdfunded on Fig.com, and reached 116% of its $3.3 million goal on January 6th, 2016. According to the campaign page, the game is planned to be released for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC, macOS, and Linux, originally with a tentative release date of Fall 2018. It was changed to 2019, then 2020, and later 2021. It was released on August 25th, 2021 on Xbox Series X/S, Xbox One, Playstation 4, Playstation 5 via backwards compatibility, and PC via Steam, GOG, DRM Free, the Humble store, and the Microsoft store. It will release on Mac and Linux shortly after launch.
- The following is lifted from the game's "about" section on Steam:
"Razputin Aquato, trained acrobat and powerful young psychic, has realized his life long dream of joining the international psychic espionage organization known as the Psychonauts! But these psychic super spies are in trouble. Their leader hasn't been the same since he was kidnapped, and what's worse, there's a mole hiding in headquarters. Raz must use his powers to stop the mole before they execute their secret plan--to bring the murderous psychic villain, Maligula, back from the dead!"
Psychonauts 2 begins with a recap of the previous two games in an animation styled after a comic book. Taking place three days after the events of Psychonauts, and picking up right after Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin, Razputin Aquato narrates his time at Whispering Rock Psychic Summer Camp, and how he was made a full-fledged Psychonaut. He and fellow Psychonauts Lili Zanotto, Sasha Nein, Milla Vodello, and Morceau Oleander psychically interrogate insane ex-dentist Caligosto Loboto to learn the identity of his employer, the suspected mastermind behind the kidnapping of Truman Zanotto, Head of the Psychonauts, by tricking him with a psychic simulation. The plan begins falling apart when Loboto realizes the deception and begins twisting the simulation, and Raz is forced to make his way through Loboto's mind with assistance from Lili, Sasha, Milla, and Oleander. Raz eventually tracks down Loboto, speaking with a shadowy manifestation of his boss. The boss threatens Loboto to keep silent by showing him a giant woman commanding serpents of water, and Raz is thrust out of the mental world. Sasha then identifies the woman as Maligula, a dangerous villain who has been dead for twenty years.
The group arrives at the Psychonauts headquarters, the Motherlobe. There, Raz is introduced to the second-in-command of the Psychonauts, Hollis Forsythe. She escorts the group inside, save for Raz, whose Psychonaut status cannot be recognized due to his induction being conducted by Ford Cruller, who is not of sound mind and thus is unfit to give Raz Psychonaut status. Hollis instead accepts Raz into the internship program, and gives him limited access to the Motherlobe. As he explores, he is accosted by the other six in the internship program. They haze him by locking him inside a storage room and stealing his clothes, leaving him with nothing except his old acrobat outfit, helmet, and goggles. He is found by Sasha and Otto Mentallis, a member of the Psychic Six, the founding members of the Psychonauts. Sasha gives Raz a new outfit and sends him off.
- Psychonauts 2 was briefly released on the Xbox store for pre-load on May 5th 2021, but was removed less than an hour later.
- Psychonauts 2 was developed without any development crunch, as Double Fine founder Tim Schafer learned from the severe crunch times on the first game how unsustainable that style of game development is.
- GameInformer's May 2021 issue featured Psychonauts 2 as its cover story, and provided exclusive details about Hollis' Mind.
- Psychonauts 2 was stated by Tim Schafer to have "even more brains than the first game," which included 10 mental words. The game in general seems to have a much larger scope than its predecessor.
- The final line of dialogue to be recorded for Psychonauts 2 was Richard Steven Horvitz as Raz, saying: "I hope Ford dismantles this thing... or Bob turns it into a planter."
- There are a lot more characters with five fingers on each hand in Psychonauts 2, than in the first game. It's possible the reason is that the models in the second game are much more detailed. Still, most of the characters with 4 fingers are recurrent characters.
- There is an artwork gaffe in the intro video to the game, which recaps the events of both Psychonauts and Rhombus of Ruin. It depicts Raz, Coach Oleander, Milla, Sasha, and Ford running to the jet for the rescue mission to find Truman Zanotto. However, at the end of Psychonauts, Ford was briefly put out of commission, and it was Lili - not Ford - who went on the mission to find her father.
- In addition to the callbacks to the preceding Psychonauts and Rhombus of Ruin, Psychonauts 2 has multiple references to prior games worked on by Tim Schafer at both Double Fine and Lucasarts:
- The PSI-King's Sensorium has numerous references to prior Double Fine game Brütal Legend, including and due in part to Helmut Fullbear's voice actor, actor/comedian/musician/songwriter Jack Black, who also voiced that game's protagonist, Eddie Riggs.
- The roulette croupier at the Lady Luctopus Casino says the same French and English lines said by the croupier at Manny's night club in Lucasarts' Grim Fandango.
Concept Art and Promotional Materials