Pyrokinesis is a psi-power and psychic merit badge at Whispering Rock Psychic Summer Camp. Razputin learns this ability after reaching PSI Cadet Rank 10 and getting the badge from Ford Cruller in Psychonauts.
This badge allows Raz to firestart objects and enemies. When using it, a thermometer gauge will appear above the object. The gauge will quickly increase, turn red, and upon reaching the top, the enemy/object will be set on fire. It cannot be used on everything, and is only useful in limited situations. The PSI-Cougars also use this ability to attack Raz. At PSI Cadet Rank 45, Raz gains the Thermal Detonation upgrade, which creates an explosion of fire after setting something on fire, which means other enemies or objects in a limited radius around the target will also be lit on fire.
- With Thermal Detonation, Pyrokinesis becomes a decent alternative to Marksmanship as it is great at handling clusters of enemies or setting off a chain.
- However, Thermal Detonation must be used with caution, as enemies that touch you will set you on fire, which disables your ability to attack. If this happens, look for SHALLOW pools of water to put the fire out.
Psychonauts: In the Rhombus of Ruin Edit
Pyrokinenis returns as a useful tool in the VR game. Raz is able to set things instantly on fire which can help with game progression. It can also be used in conjunction to Clairvoyance whilst Raz can flare things through another person's mind, including in the mental world, but not under water. During Raz's capture and exposure to Psilerium he will only be able to use pyrokinenis only after he helped free Lili from capture by channeling her psychic powers towards him.
Pyrokinesis was shown in a video showing the development of Psychonauts 2.
- Pyrokinesis is the specialty of Phoebe Love, one of the campers at Whispering Rock.
- Trying to firestart NPCs usually only results in the gauge remaining stuck at the bottom, with the target only experiencing a harsh temperature increase. However, for unknown reasons, Boyd and the Rainbow Squirts actually do catch fire. Boyd claims it is "spontaneous combustion" and blames it on government LSD tests.
- In Psychonauts: In the Rhombus of Ruin, by passing toilet paper used with Pyrokinesis to Coach Oleander, yields the achievement, "Fire in the Hole!"