- This article features content that will be introduced or featured in Psychonauts 2 announced for release in 2020. As such, this may refer to content that may be changed or removed in the to be released version of the game.
–Raz during the opening cutscene of Psychonauts 2
- 1 Appearance
- 2 Personality
- 3 Background
- 4 Story
- 5 Behind the Scenes
- 6 Psychic Powers
- 7 Relationships
- 7.1 Augustus Aquato
- 7.2 Donatella Aquato
- 7.3 The campers
- 7.4 Mirtala Aquato
- 7.5 Queepie Aquato
- 7.6 Dion Aquato
- 7.7 Frazie Aquato
- 7.8 Sasha Nein
- 7.9 Morceau Oleander
- 7.10 Milla Vodello
- 7.11 Dr. Caligosto Loboto
- 7.12 Lili Zanotto
- 7.13 Boyd Cooper
- 7.14 Edgar Teglee
- 7.15 Fred Bonaparte
- 7.16 Gloria Von Gouton
- 7.17 Sheegor
- 7.18 Linda
- 7.19 Ford Cruller
- 7.20 Hollis Forsythe
- 7.21 Norma
- 7.22 Lizzie
- 7.23 Aaron
- 7.24 Gisu
- 7.25 Sam
- 7.26 Helmut Fullbear
- 8 Trivia
- 9 Gallery
- 10 References
His outfit varies slightly from each of game, but he is almost always seen wearing a few core items: A mahogany leather bag with his earned merit badges clipped on the front, an over-sized brown jacket over a blue-green turtleneck sweater, faded cuffed pants, large red goggles, a red and brown striped leather circus helmet, brown shoes, and umber leather gloves. His skin color is a warm yellow, his eyes are green, and his hair is burgundy. He is one of the few Psychonauts characters to have five fingers on each hand. He is four feet and four inches tall.
Raz is a young charismatic psychic determined to become an official recognized member of the Psychonauts. He is always eager to help others and tries to see the good in everyone he meets. Being raised in a circus, he is proficient in acrobatics. He also shows a willingness to learn, even from his mistakes, as shown with him displaying patience and understanding with the minds he dives into.
–Character blurb from the original Psychonauts website
Razputin was born and raised in the Aquato family circus, the middle child of five to Donatella Aquato and Augustus Aquato. He showed signs of having psychic powers at a young age, but his father insisted that he suppress his abilities and instead practice difficult acrobatics. Any attempt at using his budding psychic abilities earned the ire of his father, who reprimanded Raz for using them. The acrobatic training and punishments were so grueling that Raz became convinced that his father hated him - and therefore all psychics - for having psychic abilities, even though Raz suspected his father was a psychic as well. In actuality, Augustus truly loves his son, and did not hate his powers, and only wanted to protect Raz from the dangers of the psychic world. This was unknown to Raz at the time - considering his father rarely expressed his true feelings or explained why he detested psychics. Raz believed this hatred stemmed from a deadly curse placed on their family from long ago.
Because of a bloody past feud, a family of psychics from a rival circus cursed every current and future member of Razputin's family to die in water. Consequently, whenever Raz enters water deeper than a few inches, a supernatural liquid hand attempts to grab him and pull him beneath the surface. Only Aquato family members are able to see this hand. The Psychonauts manual refers to this eerie hand as the Hand of Galochio, which is named after the family that imposed the curse.
Sometime in the year 1980, an audience member handed ten year old Raz a pamphlet from Whispering Rock Psychic Summer Camp - a government camp designed to train psychic children into becoming agents known as Psychonauts. Raz eagerly read the pamphlet during one of his circus training sessions. Noticing, his disapproving father snatched up the pamphlet and tore it to pieces. That same night, Raz, undeterred, stealthily ran away from the circus on the back of the World's Smallest Pony, eventually meeting a friendly lumberjack willing to drive him to the camp gates.
Raz, having fled from the circus, tries to sneak into the camp, but is caught by the Psychonauts. They agree to let him stay until his parents arrive. They allow him to take part in Coach Oleander's "Basic Braining" course, which he easily passes. Impressed, Agent Nein invites Raz to take part in an experiment to determine the extent of his abilities.
During the experiment, Raz comes across a vision of Dr. Loboto, an insane ex-dentist, extracting Dogen's brain, but is unable to intervene. Unbeknownst to Raz, his thoughts have accidentally been intertwined with the thoughts of Coach Oleander, which have been unintentionally broadcasted via the camp loudspeaker system. Raz eventually realizes that the vision is true after finding Dogen without a brain, but the Psychonauts refuse to believe him. After receiving additional training from Agent Vodello,
Raz learns that Dr. Loboto is working on behalf of Coach Oleander, who intends to harvest the campers' brains to power an army of psychic death tanks. Lili is soon abducted as well, and with both Agents Nein and Vodello missing, Raz takes it upon himself to infiltrate the abandoned insane asylum where she was taken. Agent Cruller gives him a piece of bacon which he can use to contact him at any time, and tasks him with retrieving the stolen brains so that he can return them to the campers. Raz frees the mutated lungfish, Linda, from Coach Oleander's control, and she takes him safely across the lake. At the asylum, Raz helps the inmates overcome their mental illnesses: Boyd Cooper, a former security guard obsessed with a number of government conspiracy theories; Fred Bonaparte, an asylum inmate who believes he is possessed by the ghost of his ancestor, Napoleon Bonaparte; Gloria Van Gouton, a former actress driven insane by her mother's suicide, and Edgar Teglee, a painter whose girlfriend cheated on him in high school. Once helped, they in turn help Raz access the upper levels of the asylum, where Loboto has set up his lab. Raz frees Lili and restores Agents Nein and Vodello's minds, allowing them to confront Coach Oleander. Boyd Cooper subsequently burns down the asylum, giving Coach Oleander time to transfer his brain to a giant tank. Raz destroys the tank, but when he approaches the it, it releases a cloud of sneezing powder, causing him to sneeze his brain out. Raz uses his telekinesis to place his brain inside the tank, merging it with Oleander's.
Inside his mind, Raz discovers that Coach Oleander's evil springs came from his childhood fear of his father, who ran a butcher shop, being amplified by the Psitanium around Whispering Rock. At the same time, Razputin's own father appears and the two dads join forces. However, he turns out to be an imposter, with Raz's real father, Augustus, appearing and using his own psychic abilities to fix his son's tangled mind and destroy the personal demons. At the camp's closing ceremony, Agent Cruller presents Raz with an official uniform and welcomes him into the Psychonauts. Raz prepares to leave camp with his father, but word arrives that the Grand Head of the Psychonauts—Lili's father, Truman Zanotto—has been kidnapped. Thus Raz and the Psychonauts fly off on their new mission to rescue Truman.
At the end of Psychonauts, Raz is recognized as a talented PSI Cadet and is asked to join his tutors as a Psychonaut intern. But as Raz prepares to go home from Whispering Rock Psychic Summer Camp with his father, Augustus, news arrives that Lili's father, the Grand Head of the Psychonauts Truman Zanotto, has been kidnapped. The team, Raz and Lili included, fly off in the Psychonauts' jet to rescue him. Using his Clairvoyance ability, Raz discovers Zanotto is being held in the Rhombus of Ruin (a play on the Bermuda Triangle). The team travels into the Rhombus of Ruin, but the jet crashes before they can act.
Raz awakens tied to a chair in the chamber where Zanotto is being held captive. Trapped in full body restraints with most of his powers suppressed by the debilitating nearby Psilirium deposit, Razputin has no other choice but to use Clairvoyance to jump into the body of a fish outside of the facility. While enjoying the ability to swim like a fish, Razputin observes both the massive chunk of Psilirium at the bottom of the sea floor and the huge number of sunken vehicles piled on top of it. Using his psychic abilities to explore the junk filled ocean, Raz finds Sasha, Milla, Lili, and Oleander trapped in vicious hallucinations due to the Psilirium deposit below them.
Body hopping his way through the Rhombus of Ruin, Razputin eventually finds Milla trapped inside a schoolbus. Milla believes she's on a bus packed full of children, which is stuck on collision course with a train that she is holding back using her powers. Razputin is able to snap her out of the trance using music therapy with a nearby radio. Unable to physically help Razputin, Milla lends him her psychic energy and boosts his suppressed psychokinesis so he more freedom to interact with his environment. Observing the lights on in a sunken nearby bomber plane, Razputin body hops his way over, where he observes Lili playing with several nuclear weapons, which she thinks are flowers.
Luckily, Lili still has her music box. Seeking to repeat his success with Milla, Razputin hops into the body of a nearby flea, and enters the music box in hopes of repairing it. Once repaired, it plays its tune. Snapped out of her hallucination, Lili uses some bombs to blow a hole out of the plane and into a neighboring train. Lili lends Razputin her remaining psi-energy for him to use Pyrokinesis to burn a path through the train for Lili. It quickly becomes apparent that Lili can't go any farther than the caboose. Body hoping to Lili's new pet rat, Razputin goes on his own and soon discovers that the fish guards surrounding the facility are all humanoid fish. Eventually, Raz comes across agent Nein, whose hallucination has led him to believe their fishy captors are in fact benevolent alien visitors. This hallucination is further fueled by the fact he is on a replica UFO.
However, once a conveniently placed record snaps him back to his senses, he concludes that the alien ship is little more than an Earth made reproduction designed to scare people during the cold war. Hopping into the body of a whale, Razputin makes his way to a sunken cruise ship where Coach Oleander is being held captive. He finds the coach is worst off than of them all, for he's putting on a full blown concert in his hallucination, and music won't help solve the issue this time.
After destroying all of the coach's musical equipment, Razputin resorts to breaking a window, pouring cold water all over Coach in the process. With the cruise ship now flooded, Razputin levitates Oleander into a mermaid costume to help him swim.
After freeing his team from their hallucinations, Raz is pulled back into the chamber by Dr. Loboto, the insane ex-dentist from the first game, and Zanotto's kidnapper. By using a Psycho-Portal given to him by Oleander, Raz enters Loboto's mind. There Razputin finds himself tied to the mast of a ship, floating adrift inside of a bath tub the size of an ocean. According to the ships captain, they're under attack by a giant sea monster, who emerges from the ocean almost immediately. After a short but intense fight with the Monster, Razputin is able to make it spit out a memory vault which he then opens and body hops inside.
Now inside the memory vault, Razputin watches the horrible tale of Loboto's parents who, upon realizing that they had given birth to a psychic, sent him off to have his powers forcibly removed via a lobotomy. Raz finds Loboto's literal moral compass inside of his repressed memories and brings it back to the ship's captain, partially curing the mad dentist of his insanity.
After Raz exits Loboto's mind, Loboto seems to have a change of heart, but instead leaves Raz and the others and floods the base. They escape from the base with Truman (and a stowaway Loboto), and the game ends with Lili telling her father about their adventures, and Truman shouting in disbelief that Lili has a boyfriend.
The game will pick up after the conclusion of Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin, with Raz having assisted Sasha Nein and Milla Vodello in rescuing head Psychonaut Truman Zanotto — a mission begun at the end of Psychonauts. Following Zanotto's rescue, the team returns to Psychonaut Headquarters, where Raz discovers that the organization is not all that it seemed. In Zanotto's absence, the Psychonauts organization had been changed by its second-in-command, and psychic research was directed away from peacekeeping efforts towards more unorthodox studies including necromancy.
Tim Schafer, director of the Psychonauts series, said that some of the ideas introduced in Psychonauts, such as Raz's family, their history, and the curse that continues to affect them, would be further explored in the sequel. Raz will also come to understand what the term "girlfriend" means
Behind the Scenes
According to an interview with creator Tim Schafer, "Raz" was the nickname of one of the game's animators, Razmig Mavlian. Schafer "stole" the name, and expanded it to "Rasputin", which was later changed to "Razputin" so that it could be trademarked.
Raz was originally conceptualized as D'Artagnan, referred to as D'Art for short. He was completely redesigned after Double Fine completed their first playable version of Psychonauts and realized he didn't fit their idea of the game's protagonist and was too "odd-looking compared to all the other odd characters" .
Raz starts the game with the ability to strike nearby objects with a large psychic hand and to perform a double jump using a bubble of mental energy. While it is not a playable power, Raz also has some degree of telepathic ability which he demonstrates by reading Lili's mind during a cutscene. He also has considerable psychic defenses that not even most of the professional Psychonauts can penetrate, despite his young age and lack of formal training.
During his stay at Whispering Rock, Raz also learns the following psychic abilities:
- Clairvoyance: The ability to see others' perspectives through their own eyes, which often shows Raz how others perceive him. Raz gains this badge in the Milkman Conspiracy, after taking it from Boyd's refrigerator.
- Confusion: The ability to cloud others' minds with mental grenades, often leading them to attack other nearby beings. Raz gains this badge in Black Velvetopia, from Dingo Inflagrante.
- Invisibility: The ability to become invisible to other creatures. Raz learns this at rank 30.
- Levitation: The ability to levitate on a psychic ball that allows Raz to move more quickly, Bubble Bounce in the air, and PSI Float during a fall. Raz learns this early on from Milla Vodello.
- Marksmanship: The ability to channel large amounts of aggression into a damaging psi-blast of focused energy. Raz learns this early on from Sasha Nein.
- Pyrokinesis: The ability to focus psychic power so that objects or creatures burst into flame. Raz learns this at rank 10.
- Shield: The ability to project a mental shield that temporarily protects Raz from damage and, when upgraded, reflects it back to the attacker. Raz gains this badge in Lungfishopolis from a Lungfish Zealot.
- Telekinesis: The ability to mentally move an object with enough force to inflict significant damage if it strikes another object. Raz learns this when he reaches rank 20.
Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin
Raz starts the game with his previous psychic knowledge from Psychonauts. However, the player cannot use all of the powers from the previous game. Powers the player is not able to use are Confusion, Invisibility, Shield, and Levitation.
Raz does not learn any knew psychic powers in Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin, but he does show off a previously unknown ability:
Raz starts the game with his previous psychic knowledge from Psychonauts and Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin. However, the player cannot use all of the powers from the previous games, including Confusion and possibly invisibility. New powers are also revealed.
Some of these new abilities include:
- Mental Connection: Very little is known about this Psychic Power. It could be a form of telepathy.
- Time Bubble: The ability to slow down platforms or enemies. Raz learns this in The Mote of Light's Level.
- Brain Storm: This is an ability from a dev video, but it has not yet been confirmed for the game.
- Archetype: This is another ability from a dev video that has yet to be confirmed for release.
- New Shield?: In the first gameplay trailer (as well as a few dev videos), we see Raz using what looks to be a new kind of shielding ability, with more of a focused range rather than shielding you from all around.
- Clone: This is another ability from a dev video that has not been confirmed for the game. It allows Raz to create multiple psychic copies of himself.
Augustus is Raz's father. He loves Razputin very much but can appear overbearing in his attempts to protect him from harm. At the end of Psychonauts, Raz proves to his father that he is a mature individual capable of taking care of himself. More information will be added when Psychonauts 2 is released.
Donatella is Raz's mother. She loves Razputin very much, but like Augustus can appear overbearing in her attempts to keep him safe. Not much is known about her. More information will be added upon the game's release.
The Whispering Rock campers don't pay Raz much attention, excluding Lili Zanotto. Some are friendly to Raz, some are ambivalent, and some are mean.
Mirtala is Raz's younger sister. Not much is known about her. More information will be added upon the game's release.
Queepie is Raz's younger brother. Not much is known about him. More information will be added upon the game's release.
Dion is Raz's older brother. Not much is known about him. More information will be added upon the game's release.
Frazie is Raz's older sister. Not much is known about her. More information will be added upon the game's release.
Sasha is Raz's mentor. He views Raz as a younger version of himself and wants to aid him in achieving his dreams of becoming a Psychonaut.
Morceau is Raz's mentor turned enemy, then turned friend again after his redemption. Morceau frequently refers to Raz as "soldier".
Milla is Raz's mentor. She is very kind toward Raz and sees him as a child that needs protection.
Caligosto is Raz's enemy turned friend. After the events of Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin Raz becomes sympathetic toward him after learning about his traumatic past. Raz acts reassuring toward Loboto in a trailer for Psychonauts 2, saying "we don't want to hurt you" during an interrogation scene. More information will be added upon the release of Psychonauts 2.
Lili is Raz's girlfriend. She loves him very much. She had eyes for him since the moment he literally dropped into camp, despite her subsequent attempts at being aloof and standoffish. It's also thanks to him that her excitement for the Psychonauts was rekindled.
Raz helps Boyd break free from the Coach's mind control. Raz doesn't actually get the chance to help him overcome his paranoia.
Edgar is Raz's friend. He helps Edgar overcome his anger issues.
Fred is Raz's friend. He helps Fred overcome his personality disorder.
Gloria is Raz's friend. He helps her overcome her bipolar disorder.
Sheegor is Raz's friend. Sheegor sees Raz as a saint who rescued her from Dr. Caligosto Loboto.
Linda is Raz's friend. She initially attempts to harm him while under the mind control of Coach Oleander, but they become "best friends" after she is freed, giving him free rides to travel between Whispering Rock and Thorney Towers.
Ford is Raz's mentor. Ford is eager to teach him how to become a Psychonaut. He signs off on Raz's earned merit badges in Psychonauts.
Hollis is Raz's mentor. She signs off on Raz's earned merit badges in Psychonauts 2. Not much is known about her. More information will be added upon the game's release.
Norma is Raz's fellow Psychonaut intern. From the Psychonauts 2 trailer, it appears Norma doesn't like Raz. More information will be added upon the game's release.
Lizzie is Raz's fellow Psychonaut intern. From the Psychonauts 2 trailer, it appears Lizzie doesn't like Raz. More information will be added upon the game's release.
Aaron is Raz's fellow Psychonaut intern. From the Psychonauts 2 trailer, it appears Aaron doesn't like Raz. More information will be added upon the game's release.
Gisu is Raz's fellow Psychonaut intern. From the Psychonauts 2 trailer, it appears Gisu doesn't like Raz. More information will be added upon the game's release.
Sam is Raz's fellow Psychonaut intern. From the Psychonauts 2 trailer, it appears Sam doesn't like Raz. More information will be added upon the game's release.
Helmut is Raz's friend, and the first actual person he's met for about 20 years. Raz helps him rediscover his lost memories and identity. More information will be added when Psychonauts 2 is released.
- Raz is one of the few characters in the Psychonauts series to have five fingers on each hand whilst most other characters in the game have only four (some others are Frazie Aquato, Augustus Aquato, Maligula, Hollis Forsythe, and The Cloaked Figure).
- In the beginning of the game when Oleander attempts to probe Razputin's mind and fails, he states that Razputin's name "starts with a D", referring to D'artagan, an early version of the protagonist scrapped in production.
- In Razputin's Memory Vault, it's revealed that he escaped the circus by riding on the back of the "World's Smallest Pony".
- Raz is the only major character in Psychonauts whose surname is not mentioned (many minor characters' last names are given as well), but the last level features a poster depicting the name "Aquato" and a group of acrobats, one of whom resembles Raz's father, and one of whom wears goggles like Raz himself, leading many fans to believe that this is Razputin's last name.
- His surname is confirmed by his Steam Trading Card, as well as the Rhombus of Ruin launch trailer.
- The fact that his family's last name is Aquato is also a play on the "water" curse or vice-versa.
- In Alice: Madness Returns, the sequel to American McGee's Alice, a cavern holds the skeletal remains of Raz sitting in an armchair.
- Raz is referenced in Brütal Legend, a later title by Tim Shafer. In the intro, the guitarist of the "heavy metal" band Kabbage Boy is seen doing his victory dance, and later in the game Eddie Riggs meets a headbanger named Jack the Lift-Op, who's wearing Raz's goggles. These two characters are voiced by Steven Horvitz, who voices Raz. He is also referenced as a statue bust and on a car paint decal.
- Raz is referenced again in the Hammer of Infinite Fate map pack, where the player can chisel his head into Mount Rockmore. Doing this four times will unlock an achievement/trophy.
- Raz is unofficially referenced in A Hat In Time. One of his appearances happens to be as a dweller-mask drawing in the attic of Vanessa's Manor.
- Razputin is a playable character in Bit Trip Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien, as part of the 'Good Friends Character Bundle' DLC. The game apparently uses his original model from Psychonauts.
- Raz intentionally dresses similarly to Sasha Nein in Psychonauts 2.
- Raz stole his signature taunt from Bobby Zilch, who showed it off after he kicked Raz off a platform in Basic Braining.
- In the game's audio files, Raz can be heard introducing himself as "Angus", "Dare", and "Finn". It is unknown if these were other potential names for the protagonist or if there were merely added for humor purposes.
- Raz and his family are heavily implied to be of Roma ethnicity. This is most strongly hinted when Raz identifies the wagon he was born in as an "old gypsy caravan."
- In an MTV2 short, Raz can be seen changing the TV channel with his mind.
- Raz's telekinesis PSI color is orange in Psychonauts, but purple in Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin.
- Raz is an avid comic book reader, often referring to comic book series' such as "Psychic Detective Tales" during several situations.
- According to his old Myspace account, Raz is a capricorn.
- According to a line in Black Velvetopia, Raz is 10.
- Raz puts his goggles on whenever he travels into a mental world.
- Raz's backpack is missing several of his merit badges in Psychonauts 2.
Concept Art and Promotional Materials
Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin
Textures and Model Screenshots