- This article features content that will be introduced or featured in Psychonauts 2 announced for release in 2020. As such, this may refer to content that may be changed or removed in the to be released version of the game.
Sasha Nein is a famous Psychonaut agent. He works with fellow Psychonaut Milla Vodello on many missions. In Psychonauts, he helps at Whispering Rock Psychic Summer Camp, running underground tests of questionable moral status, brought up due to the campers having such negative (and in a few cases, traumatic) experiences.
- 1 Personality
- 2 Background
- 3 Sasha's Mind
- 4 Psychonauts
- 5 Psychonauts in the Rhombus Of Ruin
- 6 Psychonauts 2
- 7 Psychic Abilities
- 8 Relationships
- 9 Trivia
- 10 Gallery
–Character blurb from the original Psychonauts website.
Sasha is an intelligent, down to earth scientist interested in studying the full potential of the human mind.
Sasha came from an undisclosed location either in Austria or Germany (Although not confirmed, he has a fairly strong German accent, and he is referred to as "that German fellow" by Ranger Cruller while looking for his underground chamber), working as a shoemaker with his father. Sasha never knew his mother due to her death from an unexplained illness when Sasha was a baby. When Sasha asked his father about his mother, he wouldn't tell Sasha. So when Sasha's powers manifested, he used his telepathy to see his mother's face from his father's memories. This turned out to be a big mistake, as he discovered a naughty memory of his wife, Sasha's mom. Seeing as he was at a young age, this event presumably disturbed Sasha enough to run away from his home.
Events after this are unknown, such as how he became a Psychonaut, how he became partnered with Milla, or how he became a camp counselor at Whispering Rock.
- Main article: Sasha's Shooting Gallery
Sasha's mind is a large white cube drawing inspiration from the sharp, monochrome 1960s brutalism/minimalism aesthetic popular in mid-century German gothic design (as opposed to Milla's 1960's British psychedelic mod leanings). Sasha says that he can manage to keep his mind under control. Hidden inside the cube are various parts of Sasha's mind, each section hinting about his life (like the large bed and crib about his mother and the shoeboxes and tape-measurer about his father), shown when Raz sets the dial that releases the Censors to the highest setting. After fighting the Mega Censor, Sasha gives Raz his Marksmanship badge, telling him that they will never speak of what happened in his mind again. The music in his Shooting Gallery is a remix of Mozart's "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik," which is an indication that he comes from Austria and not Germany. Upon re-entering the mind, it is revealed that the censor leak was in actuality a set-up to train Raz to be a successful marksman.
Sasha works as a camp counselor to the campers at Whispering Rock. He can be found inside his lab after basic braining and before Lili's kidnapping. Once he is captured by Coach Oleander, he is de-brained and kept under surveillance by Dr. Loboto. Once rebrained, he will aid Milla and Raz in breaking Lili's torture chair restraints. He attempts to fight Oleander's Brain Tank, but is overpowered and knocked unconscious alongside Milla and Ford. After the battle, he leaves the camp with the rest of the Whispering Rock Psychonaut crew to rescue Truman Zanotto from the Rhombus of Ruin.
Psychonauts in the Rhombus Of Ruin
Directly after the ending of Psychonauts, Sasha is seen riding on the jet heading to the Rhombus Of Ruin. After crashing and landing in the Rhombus, Sasha is thrown into a hallucination due to the Psylirium deposit beneath him. His hallucination consists of him believing he has met aliens and attempting to communicate with them. Raz frees him from his hallucination by playing a phonograph record of a song his mother used to sing.
Sasha will appear in Psychonauts 2.
- Telekinesis - Uses it to smoke cigarettes.
- Marksmanship - Taught the power to Raz. His Psi-blast color is blue.
- Levitation - Floats off the platform after giving Raz the button.
- Mind Reading - Seen in his memory vault.
- Telepathy - In Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin, Sasha can speak to Raz telepathically.
- PSI-energy transfer - In Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin, Sasha is able to partially transfer his PSI energy to Raz.
Razputin Aquato is Sasha's pupil. Sasha sees Raz as a younger version of himself and hopes to help him on his path to become an experienced Psychonaut.
Coach Oleander is Sasha's colleague. Not much is known about their relationship.
Sheegor is Sasha's lab assistant. Sasha invited her to become his assistant upon noticing her experience with handling human brains.
Not much is known about Sasha's relationship with his mother because of her death during Sasha's infancy. However, she is seen happily playing with him in his memories.
Not much is known about Sasha's relationship with his father. His father appears cold and distant in Sasha's memories.
Milla is Sasha's colleague and love interest. They have gone on exciting adventures together - such as defusing a nuclear bomb, catching criminals, and rescuing the president's brain.
- "Nein" is German for "No," which may be referenced by the large quantity of Censors in his mind.
- In the German version of the game, Sasha has an Austrian accent, which is another indication of him coming from Austria.
- Sasha drives a passionate hatred towards Tiffany lamps, finding them so tacky he can't look directly at them. He uses them as target practice during Marksmanship training, as they are "something hideous and horrible, something so disgusting that it simply must die."
- Tim and Scott later state that the reason he hates such lamps is because as seen in the Memory Vault, Sasha's First Loss, his Mom died right next to a lamp like the one in the gallery.
- If the player uses Clairvoyance on Sasha, Raz's appearance changes to that of a mini-version of him. This implies that he sees a good deal of himself in Raz.
- His glasses actually change size slightly with his expression.
- Sasha has had 'The Nein family haircut' since he was born. (Shown in a memory vault.)
- The character's name may be a reference to Alexander Shulgin (nicknamed "Sasha"), a chemist known as a pioneer of psychonautics and for researching the use of psychedelics in psychotherapy.
- He smokes cigarettes, as seen in the cutscene when he approaches Raz for advanced training.
- This is also proven in Sasha's Shooting gallery during the Mega Censor fight. When Raz is stamped a few times, Sasha asks Raz if he could reach into his pocket and pull out his cigarettes for him.
- If you use Telekinesis on him, he will respond by saying "Yes, now release!" Or "Impressive. Now release."
- If Raz keeps getting Sasha hurt by the mega censor repeatedly, there's a line where he mentions his aunt, "Aunt Bernie." This could just be deluded babbling induced from the Mega Censor trying to paradoxically censor Sasha out of his own mind.
Concept Art and Promotional Materials
Textures and Model Screenshots